Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baptismal date and Carnivale!


We set a baptismal date with Giovanni this week!! He still has some serious obstacles to overcome, especially the opposition from his family that keeps him from coming to church on Sunday. He really wants to come to church and read and pray but its hard because he works 12 hours a day and has very little time with his family (wife and 4 year old daughter) and is very tired. He is willing to make the sacrifice however, but of course we dont want to cause conflict in his family. He also talked to his dad on the phone and told him that he wants to be baptized, but his dad told him not to do it! He is still cautious and has lots of valid concerns that we try to work through with him. We are praying hard for him to be able to receive his answer and prepare for his baptism, this will be a miracle if everything works out!!
We had our Carnivale party on Saturday, it was great fun! Lots of people came and it was pretty chaotic, but great. And some members brought friends, yay!
Talked to lots of people, as always. We have been using a survey to try to talk to people, asking them about their beliefs.
We got transfer calls and both of us are staying in Ladispoli for another transfer. I am relieved about that, we are working well together and have lots of work/potential work.
English course is always a highlight, we had a couple of new students who came who brought us Frappe, a carnival treat in Italy. I really think my students feel the Spirit when I give the spiritual thought at the end. They are much more open and receptive because they know me and have a little more trust in me.
Last night we went to one of my favorite less active families, the Del Core family. The mom has a strong testimony, but has health problems and is kind of lazy; she knows she should go to church but never makes it there. She has three kids who are less active as a result and there is a lot of potential with them. They are a hilarious family, all of them speak with a heavy Roman accent (they cut off the ends of their words) and the kids (they are 13, 19, 25) are great. We are going to go to their house on Sunday morning and make them breakfast and all go to church together.
Things are going well!
I have been thinking a lot about how I need to focus my personal study time more on our investigators. I feel pretty comfortable with the doctrine and the Italian in the lessons we teach, but if I really prepared more specifically for each person, I would be able to receive more inspiration from the Spirit on their specific needs.
Not much else to say. Trying to be a more consecrated missionary. I want so much to help our branch reach the goal of 10 baptisms this year. Its a big goal, but our God is a God of miracles, I know it!

LOVE!
Sorella Askew

No comments:

Post a Comment